The Zero Room

"Inside the TARDIS there are an awful lot of rooms - libraries, gardens, swimming pools, and even a cricket pavilion. Plus two control rooms, a boot cupboard, a very large costume wardrobe and a pink Zero Room."

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Tony Blair denies he's converting

Interesting tidbit that I didn't think quite fit totally in my political blog:

Blair dismisses speculation about conversion

Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair dismissed speculation he intends to convert from the Church of England to Roman Catholicism. Blair commented after British newspaper quotes from the Rev. Timothy Russ, who regularly leads Catholic services at Blair's country estate, Chequers.'

'If you ask me do you think he wants to become a Catholic, I would say yes,'' Russ was quoted as saying, and: ''He didn't say to me, 'Can I become a Catholic?' What he said to me was, 'Can the prime minister be a Catholic?' ''Britain's Press Association said Blair responded to reporters, ''I am saying no. Don't they run this once a year? I think they do. Every year I get this."

British Prime Minister Tony Blair awaits the arrival of United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan at his official residence, 10 Downing Street in central London, Tuesday Oct. 19, 2004. Blair said Tuesday British troops would only be redeployed to the more volatile, U.S.-controlled sector of Iraq if it was militarily justified.

Blair has regularly accompanied his Catholic wife Cherie and their children to Mass, triggering conversion speculation. By law, Britain's monarch must be Protestant. There is no legal barrier to a Catholic prime minister but there hasn't been one since the title came into use in the early 18th century, a constitutional expert said.

--The Associated Press

You must have Java enabled to see breaking news...